Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Dr. Konstantin Frank Vinifera Wine Cellars


Almost every winery I visited mentioned Dr. Konstantin Frank. A true pioneer for the Finger Lakes wine industry, Dr. Frank was a scientist who spoke five languages (not English) and introduced the process of growing vinifera (European) grapes to make this a world-class wine producing region! Today, in honor of Dr. Frank, only vinifera grapes are grown in the vineyards here. Though he didn’t get along well with his dad, Willy Frank (Konstantin’s son) brought a business side to the winery and gets credit for expanding to sparkling wines at Chateau Frank. Third generation Fred Frank is in charge now and continues to expand the vineyards to include ones on Seneca and Cayuga Lakes too. His teenage son, Konstantin (yes, named after his great grandfather) has grown up in the business – who knows what ideas he will have.

This tasting room can be lots of fun! The staff is knowledgeable, friendly and entertaining. It was here that I learned I could open a bottle of wine with the heel of a shoe. Really! I saw it work – but as yet, I have not perfected my skills (hard as I’ve tried!) Best known for their world-class Rieslings, be sure to try the other selections under the Dr. Frank, Salmon Run and Chateau Frank labels.


(That's Fred Frank and me in the picture)

No comments: